In this post we show several options for rent now at a few of the condos expats favor went renting in Johor Bahru, Malaysia.
It is important to remember in Johor Bahru the rental agents work for the landlord. So they are only willing to show you condos which the landlord is paying them to show. Therefore, if you want to see what is available you have to find that out yourself. You can’t rely on your agent for anything other than the ones they happen to have available in their inventory. Some agents are not very open about this and try to make it seem like your options are much more limited than they really are. You have to look out for yourself (you can also judge the forthrightness of an agent by how they explain the market to you).
Propnet and iProperty are good places to look for available units. But for reasons I can’t understand, many units are not shown online (you have to contact many different people to find them which seems like a very inefficient way to operate, in my opinion).
Some of the units currently available for rent:
See our overview of the Lagenda Tasek Luxury Suites
- 1,043 square feet, 3 bedroom, 2 baths, city view, RM 2,000 month
- 1,241 sf, 3 bedroom, 2 baths, lower floor with garden view, RM 2,300 month
See our overview of the Indah Samudra Condo
- 2,433 sf, 4 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, RM 3,500 month
- 1,365 sf, 2 + 1 bedrooms (+1 under bedrooms usually means a room could theoretically be used as a bedroom, but expats normally wouldn’t want to – very small, often no window), 2 baths (1 has a full bathtub), RM 2,500 month
- 1,365 sf, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, RM 2,500 month
Related: Molek Pine Condos RM 2,500 to RM 4,000/mo – Straits View Condos Available: RM 2,800/m to RM 5,500/m
See our overview of the Molek Pine Condos.
There are many condos available at Molek Pine in the current 2 towers, and a third tower is being built. One thing you have to keep in mind when looking for a place to live in Johor Bahru is that many available units are not listed online. A few places, like Straits View and Molek Pine have a larger percentage listed online (given that that are targeting expats and also that they are more expensive, real estate agents representing them are more experienced and have more tools available, etc.).
Good places to look for rental condos at Molek Pine are iProperty and Propnet. As you can see below prices can vary by quite a bit and it isn’t obvious from the descriptions why those asking for much more have to offer for the additional price. It is wise to be a wise consumer and know what the current market is. Some factors do affect the price – in general higher floors have higher prices (floor 15 for example is more than floor 5 for the same unit), nicer furnishings will also increase the price a bit.
Many rental agents in Johor Bahru don’t have the skills and experience needed by many expats. This can mean those agents can charge owners a bit higher prices which may then be passed on in the rental price. That price may well be worth it for expats and owners, that will have an easier time renting to expats with such an agent. Some of the units currently available for rent:
- Inside looks very nice (see photos), low floor, 1,075 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, RM 2,600/month
- High floor, 1,800 square feet, 3 bedrooms (+1), 3 bathrooms, RM 2,500/month.
- 1,469 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, RM 2,500/month
- High floor, 1,469 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, RM 3,000/month
- 1,469 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, RM 3,200/month
- 1,469 square feet, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, RM 4,000/month
Related: Straits View Condos Available: RM 2,800/m to RM 5,500/m