A page for general tips for expats.
In the event of emergency:
- 112 if you are calling from a mobile phone
- from landline: Police/Ambulance 999, Fire 994
- Columbia Asia Hospital in Nusajaya (2nd link area – Horizon Hills, East Landang…
- Directory of Malaysian blogs (with selection of those from Johor Bahru) – blogs can provide some great tips for expats living in Malaysia
- New Straits Times: Johor related stories
- Iskandar Malaysia Development Authority – government site with some good details, especially on economic development plans.
- Paying bills electronically. For some reason, many businesses don’t make it easy to figure out how to pay online (electricity, internet service…). It seems like the best option is just to pay through your bank’s website. Go through your bank’s web site first to see if you can pay directly, if not, then try to decipher the businesses rules but they are often very complicated, for such a simple matter.
Resources with lots of tips:
- Settling guide (pdf) from the Universiti Teknologi Malaysia for expat professors – lots of useful information on getting settled in Johor Bahru.
- Here is a great post listing tons of stuff to do before you sail away for a year, or more (to Johor Bahru, or anywhere else).
Volunteer in Johor Bahru
- Run – volunteer network of young Malaysian who hopes to contribute by their professional skills and knowledge to shape a better world. Think that you can be one as well? Come join as a RUN volunteer and be the difference that you wish to see in the world! contact 010-7607087